I am devastated to share with you that our beloved Oscar recently passed away in his sleep. He was 13 years young and such a happy boy with the most memorable character. It breaks my heart that he’s gone, he was my very first dog and will always have a special place in my heart. It helps to know that Oscar went peacefully and knew nothing about it, he didn’t suffer and he is now on the rainbow bridge waiting for me. I love him so much and I’d do anything to see him again, but for now I must just focus on all the amazing times I’ve shared with him. A tribute to Oscar.
I was only 5 years old when my parents bought you home, I distinctly remember coming out of school and seeing you wrapped up in mums arms, I was so excited and in utter disbelief. The whole way home I kept asking “is he really ours, is he really!?” That’s where our life together started 13 years ago.
From then on my love for you grew and grew, you were always there through the good and bad times reminding us to stay positive and take joy from the simplest things in life. Your happy face always made me smile. There are so many things I loved about you:
- You’d whine before dinner time like you had never eaten in your life, it always made us laugh, your excitement was so raw.
- I remember when you used to love chasing rabbits, playing with your favourite ripped up football and doing agility with me in the garden. You were so enthusiastic about everything right until the end, I admire you so much for that.
- Your attempts to chase Max were so funny, you tried so hard.
- Whenever Max was being naughty, you relished in it – a true brother you were.
- Whenever we gave you and Max a tasty chew or Kong, you’d always think his was better than yours, even though they were the exact same.
- On a walk you had to sniff EVERYTHING!
- You loved being outside and just watching the world go by, barking at the odd bird that flew into our garden or a person to walk by. You truly believed your duty was to protect the household.
- You were the boss and everything was on your own terms… you could be so stubborn at times but I loved it.
- You always thought you were much bigger than you were, it was so funny watching you greet dogs, you’d try to stand as tall as you possibly could… you may have been small but your heart was big.
- Oscar you were so incredibly strong, you never let your illness get you down and you fought so hard. Truly inspiring.
- From day one you loved snow!
I’ll never forget our adventures together Oscar, you loved them all so much. When you would see us put your bed by the door you knew we were going somewhere good, your face just lit up with sheer happiness, I wish I could see that again. Wherever you are now, I hope you are having fun, may there be lots of bones to chew on, lots of sniffs to investigate and lots of beds to sleep in. God knew you’d start suffering from your illness so he took you away to be at peace before it got bad. It brings me happiness to know that your last week with us was spent at your two favourite places, it was perfect for you.
I hope you knew how loved you were and how missed you’ll be…
You no longer greet me as I walk through the door,
You’re no longer here to make me smile or laugh anymore,
Life seems empty without you,
You were far more than a pet,
You were a family member, a friend,
A loving soul I’ll never forget,
It will take time to heal, for the pain to go away,
I still look for you sweet boy and miss you everyday,
You were such a great companion, constant, loyal and true,
My heart will always wear the paw prints left by you.
Rest In Peace Oscar… Til we meet again.